Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Critiques...! They're more important than you think..

I have some serious misgivings in my gut whenever I consider the writing workshop that I have been participating I here in the Inland Empire. So much so, that I fully support another writer-participant in her rebellion, and have no further plans to participate in the workshop itself. We both wish create another writing group, which, I hope, will form soon in the local library.


The problem at the core of this Inlandia group is the lack of any sort of truly good critique, which one does need if one is going to improve as a creative. In that particular workshop, politics have come to the fore, rather than the very writing that participants have actually done. The reason for the group's existence is almost--no, I must be honest-- Has been completely misplaced.


The group's existence now completely revolves about the group's leader's obsession of the state of the virgin deserts here in California, rather than simply... writing.


It is because it is she who is the editor-in-chief of the tiny chap book that Inlandia plans to produce.


My friends have heard me whine and complain about this often. And one even provided a solution for my critiquing problem: an online critiquing community. It is not a perfect solution, but it is better than what I have. I have not explored it completely, but it is, indeed, a good idea.


The address is:


http://www.critters.org/
Sent via a stray supercharged nano particle of unobtainium....

No comments:

Post a Comment