Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Inlandia Workshop 111810

Prompt--
Journalism style: write about your day.
----oooo----
There was a noise. I know it was a noise.
I opened my eyes to sunlight, and groaned. I got up to the endless popping noise in the corner, and tended the seven young quail I kept in the three clear totes. All brown feathered now, they looked at me without fear as I gave them more food and ample water. Soon after, they quietened down, just pecking the plastic instead of flapping straight up at the white lid. That crashing bam sound is likely what woke me..
I went outside.
The sun shined brighter still on the sidewalk. I glanced at the plants of my garden, and noting the quality of the leaves, decided they needed no water. I then reached inside the clear plastic bag I kept on my stove and withdrew a bit of the fish pellets. Two of them went to the small blue bucket filled with water below the box of tomatoes; the rest to the bigger pond with the ivy in the black basket pot.
No fish were floating on top in either water feature, so I decided that they were still hiding from view. I did see some tiny guppies under the ivy.
I went back inside and changed into something that wasn't sweats, and grabbed my keys, wallet and phone. Intending on going to the store. The time on the clock in dash read 930. It was 3 hours too soon to buy or drop off the cat food at my parent's place.
'After two days without the poor critter will think he's starving'. I sighed, and turned the key anyway. 'Damn birds...where to breakfast.' I said.
---OOOOO----
Prompt--
Fond baking memory.
----ooooo----

Like Magic. It was there in an email. There was no way it was this easy.

She well remembered all the healthy snacks mother made instead of the usual sweets of childhood. Stuffed tomatoes. Stuffed celery. Carrots. Even toast and cheese. Never. Ever. A single cake.

She cackled evilly, sounding much like a mad scientist, as she stirred the measured mixture of coco, flour, a bit something from a red can. She reached for an egg, poured some oil. Then skipped to the freezer, the ONLY PLACE ONE CAN KEEP CHOCOLATE!!! in ant infested Riverside.

Oh.. Sugar. Yes need lots of that. She spooned the bit in and stirred. Then took out a coffee mug.. The only coffee mug, and transferred the brown mixture in. Three minutes in the microwave later, she then took the mug out of the microwave.

It worked!! It worked Ha ha! Heck with the weird diets of mom! I can have chocolate cake whenever I want!!

-----ooooo----
Prompt---
A thanksgiving story.
-----ooooo----
She looked in the hole, barely a crack really, dug beneath the chicken coop. She stretched her hand out as she squatted in the dust. In her hand: a single piece of lettuce.
The ancient thing, looking like a large down-turned bowl, sat unmoved in hallow.
"Come on Grumpy. Aren't you hungry?" She called.
"Leave him alone, he'll come out if he's hungry."
"He didn't yesterday. I just want to see him."
The girl dropped the lettuce to the ground and took a few steps back. Patience wasn't an easy thing for a nine year old.
"Maybe he's sleeping. They do that you know."
"Maybe he's sick."
"He's not sick." Her cousin said.
"Hey..he's moving."
As she watched the shadows, out poked an ancient, scaled head that appeared to be frowning, as if distinctly displeased with the world. It tilted its head, then slowly, ever so slowly, lowered it to the discarded leaves.
"See.. He's fine."
As she watched, it flicked out a bit of tongue, and took a great snapping bite of the offering. It did this over and over. Utterly unhurried. Munching until the greens were gone.
Sent via a stray supercharged nano particle of unobtainium....

No comments:

Post a Comment