Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Crickets...

When I woke up from an afternoon's slumber, I was startled by the ringing of my phone. I looked to the screen with bleary eyes, but for all the good it did to learn to read anything, for the life of me I just couldn't make out what that little square of light was saying to me. I gazed at it for a good while, mind a complete void, when I say movement off to the side of me.


I looked over, and lowered my brows.


There, on the surface of the little wooden box I happen to use as a side table, was a amassed small army. Hundreds of six-legged, antennae bearing, brown jumpers looked on, and all of which were lined up in neat little rows. They marched along as though they were another species altogether.


I watched owlishly as they moved across the rough plank and on up the drab wall, where their shiny bodies darted into a rather deep crack above my head and vanished from my sight.


Creepy little faces stared, mocking me, for the duration of the insectoid parade. I swear I can still see every insectual smirk when I close my lids.


You can hear them right? Chirping away somewhere between the beginning of one wall and the ending of another?


Crickets.


I suppose they usually are quite happy to sing about dust and cobwebs. I should warn you that today the creaking churrups will likely be quite different.


Oh. That's right. I haven't told you, have I? What should likely be the dreadful cause of a future crickety symphony?


Upon every one of their brown bulbous backs, tucked neatly betwixt their long and spike-covered back legs, were the very letters that composed this day's posting.


I don't have the foggiest how the awful things managed to smuggle the bits of data from the computer file.


And that is why I haven't got today's post for you all to see.


Yep.


Crickets.
Sent via a stray supercharged nano particle of unobtainium....

No comments:

Post a Comment