Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Today's piece...kittens will cure most anything

A/n: Is delayed. Sorry. This will be replaced as soon as I manage to finish it.
Sent via Blackhole

--oo--

I heard the heavy thump above me as I took my first tentative step into the lowest stairwell. I knew it could only be one thing, and stooped to grap the nearest of the kittens from the sagging cat tree as I went by. Noisly clomping up the steps, scatching the fuzzball behind her ears as I pressed her small body against mine, it wasn't long before I could hear the high whine of the computer screen. And another thump.


"Are you ok..?" I called, rising to my toes to peer past the false wall.


"..fine." Came the reply from my roomate. "fine."


Thump!


I felt my brows nearly touch. The voice of my roommate sounded quite muffled. Another step up, and I had a clear view of the computer chair. Upon it was my roomate, but he did not look at all comfortable: the ankles of both feet touched the back of his neck. Another step up and I saw an arm pinned to the small of his back. I swallowed, and glanced at the flickering screen.


I could easily see he had surfed to a messege board, where a newssite declared in bold letters: "Osama Bin Laden is Dead". It explained much to me. Only events that big could possibly tie my friend into such knots.


"meow..?" I looked down at the fuzzball, and saw the wide frightened eyes looking right back. I scatched her head absently, and approached my knotted up roomie. For a few moments, I looked on in amazement as he rabidly typed several paragraphs with his one free hand.


I took in a breath, and let it out. I had to wait. Things like this had to be timed just right.


I watched as he angrily jabbed the return key, sending off whatever message he had written. I held the kitten firmly with both hands.


Just as he managed to turn his head my way, I lifted both hands, and balanced the fuzzball between them. When he slid his eyes towards me, said fuzzball squirmed. I saw the corners of his mouth lift slightly when the kitten squeeked in protest to the awkward handling of her form.


He scritched her head with his free hand, turning away at last from the blasted screen. The hand behind his back came out next, taking hold of her round furred belly. I turned away and desended the stairs before the legs came down from his neck with a pair of much softer "thumps'.

No comments:

Post a Comment