Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Prompt: zombie fish

A/N: time to get back up that saddle and ride..the ebook will be out shortly, just as soon as I get my computer working again.

Prompt: zombie fish

--oo--


I drive along without lights just fine, thanks, especially on nights like this. Gets the blood going.


I take a chance and dart my eyes at the mirror, eyeing the uncountable number of red glowing eyes far too close to my bumper.


I always thought cows were evil.

Driving about in the dead of night with only the stars shining to light your way is certainly an experience to remember. Doing so with a herd of spooked cattle thundering along with their noses kissing your tail pipe, and you have something to brag about. Here, that's likely to be over at the only remaining dive bar, sometime before the night's first brawl begins.


I have to survive this, that is, to do so.


I shift my eyes back to the dim trail before me, deftly avoiding large looming boulders that are more like a shadows erected against shades than a solid things. The jolt of another rock jerks the steering wheel astray, and I stuggle to grip the rotting plastic firmly. I muscle the wheels into a bend, and grit my teeth as the tires squeal their complaints against the dust.


I have no idea where I am, really, but I am too sure of the cliff up ahead. There's this skeleton of a sign, see.


Oh. Wait.


I wish I had lights to replace the broken pair at the front of the car so that I could show you this thing. The last pair of lights was taken from old man Tesh about six months ago, and as far as I know, there's not going to be any more. Not for a while.


Anyhow the sign.


It's an big old thing in the rough shape of a fish that dangles at the cliff's leading edge. No I don't know what kind of fish it is. I do know it's missing an eye, because someone had a grand idea to shot a cannon at it once and struck it with a green pumpkin. It shot clean through, and may as well have been a rock.


That's not all.


There's this old netting hanging off the curve of the back that make it look maybe like it's scales are dissolving off. I suppose one of the army guys breezing through years back draped it on in a lame attempt at camoflage, and the netting is bleached near to white by the hot sun.


Actually. Now that I think about it. It kinda looks like one of them things.


Y'know what I mean? The not-quite-all- dead?


Well. If they could infect a fish with a bite or scratch, I imagine it would look much like that sign there.


They're the reason I drive at night, you see. They don't take not seeing well at all. Not like the living do.


Anyhow. I make the turn in a cloud of dust, and what do you know. The spooked cattle don't. Meat on the hoof spill down the rocky sides, one by one, mooing pathetically as they go over the edge like lemmings.


I grin, and my mouth waters.


Looks like the townies are in for a good excuse for a barbeque that'll last quite a few months.

Sent via a stray supercharged nano particle of unobtainium....

No comments:

Post a Comment